Monday 10 September 2012

Black Sea Twilight

I was recently taken very ill and needed some books and films to keep my mind off the illness itself. Luckily I had by chance stumbled across a novel in a charity shop that offered me the refuge that I was seeking for.

Black Sea Twilight written by a Romanian author called Domnica Radulescu captured me straight from its first paragraph. The books is about the time of Communism in Romania in the 1980s and it describes effectively how living under a Communist regime shaped people's lives.

The book tells the story of main character, Nora, a young lady who lives in a beautiful seaside town. The reader follows Nora's struggles over the years, in particular her love story with a Turkish boy, and holds one's breath as Nora and her love decide to escape from the regimented country and to start all over in a different place.  

Radulescu is an excellent writer who truly captured the life in Romania with colourful and emotionally-ridden dialogue. Not only did I learn a great deal about the history and culture of Romania, but I also felt that the characters were so real that they became my friends during the journey of their young lives.

I will definitely look out for other books by Radulescu and would thoroughly recommend Black Sea Twilight. 

www.goodreads.com/book/show/8593763-black-sea-twilight-domnica-radulescu

No comments:

Post a Comment